Aller au contenu

Des gens pour bosser des sujets d'anglais ensemble???

nenette85

Messages recommandés

Hello everybody!

I have an exam tomorrow so I'm sorry as I couldn't help you before!

I will try to correct some of your works...I hope I will have enough time as I don't have already realised my arts' production!

Good luck !

• Réponses 225
  • Created
  • Dernière réponse

Membres les plus actifs

• nenette85

• Sandy27

• BLA

• orion144

Membres les plus actifs

Bonjour,

Voici un texte utilisé lors de l'oral anglais à l'académie de Paris ou Versailles ? (à Etoilles) depuis hier...

The New York Times - November 28, 2006

Global Warming Goes to Court

The Bush administration has been on a six-year campaign to expand its powers, often beyond what the Constitution allows. So it is odd to hear it claim that it lacks the power to slow global warming by limiting the emission of harmful gases. But that is just what it will argue to the Supreme Court tomorrow, in what may be the most important environmental case in many years.

A group of 12 states, including New York and Massachusetts, is suing the Environmental Protection Agency for failing to properly do its job. These states, backed by environmental groups and scientists, say that the Clean Air Act requires the E.P.A. to impose limits on carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases emitted by new cars. These gases are a major contributor to the "greenhouse effect" that is dangerously heating up the planet.

The Bush administration insists that the E.P.A. does not have the power to limit these gases. It argues that they are not "air pollutants" under the Clean Air Act. Alternatively, it contends that the court should dismiss the case because the states do not have "standing," since they cannot show that they will be specifically harmed by the agency's failure to regulate greenhouse gases.

A plain reading of the Clean Air Act shows that the states are right. The act says that the E.P.A. "shall" set standards for "any air pollutant" that in its judgment causes or contributes to air pollution that "may reasonably be anticipated to endanger public health or welfare." The word "welfare," the law says, includes "climate" and "weather." The E.P.A. makes an array of specious arguments about why the act does not mean what it expressly says. But it has no right to refuse to do what Congress said it "shall" do.

Beneath the statutory and standing questions, this is a case about how seriously the government takes global warming. The E.P.A.'s decision was based in part on its poorly reasoned conclusion that there was too much "scientific uncertainty" about global warming to worry about it. The government's claim that the states lack standing also scoffs at global warming, by failing to acknowledge that the states have a strong interest in protecting their land and citizens against coastal flooding and the other kinds of damage that are being projected.

In a friend-of-the-court brief, climate scientists from the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Stanford University and other respected institutions warn that "the scientific evidence of the risks, long time lags and irreversibility of climate change argue persuasively for prompt regulatory action." The Supreme Court can strike an important blow in defense of the planet simply by ruling that the E.P.A. must start following the law.

Bonne lecture... :)

nono77

This text is an article taken from the new york times, and it deals with the consequences of the greehouses gases's emissions and more particulary, the global warming.

The author enonces the " most important environemental case in many years"

between who? On the one hand we've got the Bush administration and the Environement Protection agency and on the other , 12 states of America.

what is it about? This case seems very serious, according to the autor, the Bush administration and the EPA knew perfectly the consequences of such pollutions but they didnt care about it.

The problem is that the Clean Air Act needed them to make people reduce the greenhouse's gaz emissions, and the EPA didn't have the right to refuse it.

For their defense, they said that there was too much scientific uncertainety about global warming so they didn t worry, and the bush administation argued that they didn t have the power to slow it...

Tha author concluded that it's time for the bush administration and de EPA to respect the law!

As far as I am councerned, nowadays, and in the whole word, we begin to have consequences of the emission of quantities of gases and pollution... and it is just a start! everyone must be aware about it and do all he can to protect the planet. Even if it is still not enough, a lot of countries try to do their best but it seems that some other don t ... and this article is revealing that the USA is one of those. ( we can give many exemples about ecology...)

personne? et si on faisait celui là, tombé cette année ( cf un post un peu plus bas) :blush:

To: Professor@University.edu Subject: What I need

One student skipped class and then sent the professor an e-mail message asking for copies of her teaching notes. Another did not like her grade, and wrote a petulant message to the professor. Another explained that she was late for a Monday class because she was recovering from drinking too much at a wild weekend party.

At colleges and universities nationwide, e-mail has made professors much more approachable. But many say it has made them too accessible, erasing boundaries that traditionally kept students at a healthy distance.

These days, they say, students seem to view them as available around the clock, sending a steady stream of e-mail messages — from 10 a week to 10 after every class — that are too informal or downright inappropriate. "The tone that they would take in e-mail was pretty astounding," said Michael J. Kessler, an assistant dean and a lecturer in theology at Georgetown University. " ’I need to know this and you need to tell me right now,’ with a familiarity that can sometimes border on imperative."

He added: "It s a real fine balance to accommodate what they need and at the same time maintain a level of legitimacy as an instructor and someone who is institutionally authorized to make demands on them, and not the other way round." While once professors may have expected deference, their expertise seems to have become just another service that students, as consumers, are buying.

Patricia Ewick said, chairwoman of the sociology department at Clark University in Massachusetts, explaining that "students are constantly asked to fill out evaluations of individual faculty” Professor Ewick said 10 students in one class e-mailed her drafts of their papers days before they were due, seeking comments. "It’s all different levels of presumption," she said. "One is that I’ll be able to drop everything and read 250 pages two days before I’m going to get 50 of these."

The article entitled "Global warming goes to Court" is taken from an american newspaper : "The NY Times" and it was published at the end of November, 2006.

The main topic is trial against EPA which depends on Bush Administration around the Global Warming question. So trough this suit, some sates are contesting Bsuh administration's position about environmental issues such as Global warming, reproaching it for not doing enough to struggle with this problem.

The journalist criticize a lot Bush administration and sheds light on contradictions inside theirs sentiments : I quote line 2 ".." and llater in the article I quote line 22 "blabla".

In concrete terms, these 12 states want that EPA takes measures to limit greenhouse gases emissions, especially those thrown out by new cars. As an answer, gouvernment says to these states to take care more to their citizens and to protect them for other kinds of damage as flooding instead of asking EPA to take measures about gases. In fact, they want to discredit satstes'action and so the suit, although we know as well that all of these are totally linked together.

At the end of his article the journalist emphasizes the support of the evidence of global warming and the mergency to move and to change. He underlines that many serious and notorious institions agree with this position and his final sentence show EPA (and so Bush Administration) is really opened to be criticism.

As for me, once again at the G8 in Germany last week, United States show they are not ready yet to take really hard and strong measures in order to protect our planet. Despite scientific evidences of global warming, despite pressures by countries and politicians as Angela Merquel, Mr Bush doesn't seem to consider this issue as a priority. So I wonder : when will the decide to do it ? Or which drama they wait ? Climate changes as those about the temperature last weeks in NY very cold, or the Hurricane Katerine are not relevant ?

bon voila ca y est je me lance ce n'est sans doute pas le top mais bon au moins j'ai essaie.

texte n°21

the text is an article from an english newspaper the sundaytime and it's published in november 2004.It's entitled shoebax appealand the mean idea is present for chrismas.

This text deals with the probleme of proverty in country whose children have distroy by the war. the author show us how t do an act of chrity without to made an charible donation.

With his children he chose a toy in good condition. They put it in shoe box with other littlethinkand a christmas card. it can be anythink else whose not reminiscent war or violence.

Nowadays, in chrismas, childre have got a lot of present. I think it's a good opration to offer a present to this children who live since many years in country which is in war.

bon voila ca y est je me lance ce n'est sans doute pas le top mais bon au moins j'ai essaie.

texte n°21

the text is an article from an english newspaper the sundaytime and it was published in november 2004.It's entitled shoebax appeal and the main idea is present for chrismas.

This text deals with the problem of poverty in countries where children have distroy (??) by the war. the author shows us how to do an act of charity without making a charible (??) donation.

With his children he (who ?, the journalist) chose a toy in good condition. They put it in shoe box with others little things and a christmas card. it can be anything else which is not reminiscent of war or violence.

Nowadays, in chrismas, children have got a lot of presents. I think it's a good operation to give a present to these children who live since many years in country at war.

Try to pay attention to the use of WHICH, WHO, WHERE and so on ...

Emma

super je vais bosser un des 2 derniers textes cet aprem :wub: je vous mettrai ensuite mon résumé en ligne!

Here is my resume of Global Warming Goes to Court

This purposed text is an extract from the very known newspaper named New York time, published the 28th November 2006. It talks about the position of Bush administration and the one of a group of twelve states. These two opinions aren’t the same.

The first, is the opinion of Bush administration. It says that there are too much scientific who think that Global warming is not as worried as we can think..

The second, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, is the one of the 12 states. They say that gases emitted by cars are really dangerous for our planet and note that we have to do something to protect it!

Lastly, this text casts a light on the position of some climate scientific who are working for the NASA. They want to alert us because if anybody decides to take resolution about this problem, the climate will change for sure, and it will really be a pity.

This text acquaints us with the current events of the G8’s meeting. It occurred in the beginning of this month in Germany. In fact, this problem seems to be nearly resolved because George Bush subscribed to a text which evokes the "substantial" reduction of greenhouse gases emissions.

In my opinion, it’s a really worried subject. I think that for resole it all the mondial states have to something, and specially United States and China witch produce the most important greenhouse gases emissions.

J'ai eu un mal fou à me lancer! J'attends impatiemment vos corrections...Je sens bien que je manque cruellement de vocabulaire et que je dis trop souvent THAT mais je ne voie pas quoi dire d'autre!

Here is my resume of Global Warming Goes to Court

This purposed text is an extract from the very known newspaper named New York time, published on 28th November 2006. It deals with the position of Bush administration and the one of a group of twelve states. These two opinions aren't the same.

The first is the opinion of Bush administration. It says that there are too much/many scientific/scientists who think that Global warming is not as worrying as we can think..

The second, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, is the one of the 12 states. They say that gases emitted by cars are really dangerous for our planet and note that we have to do something to protect it!

Lastly, this text casts a light on the position of some climate scientifics who are working for the NASA. They want to alert us because if nobody??? decides to take resolution about this problem, the climate will change for sure, and it will really be a pity.

This text acquaints us with the current events of the G8's meeting. It occurred at the beginning of this month in Germany. In fact, this problem seems to be nearly resolved because George Bush subscribed to a text which evokes the "substantial" reduction of greenhouse gases emissions.

In my opinion, it's a really worrying subject. I think that TO resolve it all the mondial states have to do something, and specially the United States and China which produce the most important greenhouse gases emissions.

J'ai eu un mal fou à me lancer! J'attends impatiemment vos corrections...Je sens bien que je manque cruellement de vocabulaire et que je dis trop souvent THAT mais je ne voie pas quoi dire d'autre!

Be careful: worried is not the same as worrying (adj/adv)! :)

Modifié par André Jorge
Je me suis permis de corriger much et scientific